Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) has notified the Michigan State Medical Society that the board seats of Dennis Ramus, MD, and F. Remington Sprague, MD, will expire at the 2022 Annual Member Meeting in May. They have asked for MSMS’s nominations by December 15, 2021, though both Doctor Ramus and Doctor Sprague are both eligible for and are seeking renomination. Any MSMS member can apply for the position; however, BCBSM requires that they have BCBSM insurance coverage and as a health care provider participate with BCBSM.
The timeline is as follows:
- Applications are due to MSMS on Wednesday, November 24, 2021.
- The MSMS Selection Committee will meet as needed the week of November 29, 2021.
- The MSMS Board will vote electronically the week of December 6, 2021.
- MSMS will send its recommendations to BCBSM the week of December 13, 2021.
A summary of the criteria for applicants, the nomination process and selection committee is below. If you have any questions, please contact Virginia Gibson at 517-336-5730.
MSMS Recommendations to the BCBSM Board of Directors
Information About the Positions: The BCBSM Nominating and Governance Committee nominates a slate to the full BCBSM Board of Directors and then BCBSM members (contract holders). While MSMS has held two Board seats, those seats are not guaranteed and are not direct appointments. Of 35 BCBSM Board seats, at least 8 must be health care providers, and at least 2 must be physicians. A board term is three years. There are no limits on the number of terms for either BCBSM or MSMS. The BCBSM Board meets approximately eight times a year, and meets in Grand Rapids, South Lyon and Detroit. Additionally, BCBSM Board members are assigned to various committees that meet six to eight times a year. BCBSM Board members are compensated $25,000+/year for their work.
Criteria for Applicants:
- Any MSMS member can apply for the position. The nominee will be made an ex officio member of the MSMS Board of Directors. If the nominee is already a member of the MSMS Board, he/she will maintain their voting seat.
- The two nominees should demonstrate prior experience and expertise in interaction with BCBSM.
- The MSMS Board should assume the responsibility of selecting the nominees it most wants to serve on the BCBSM Board of Directors.
- MSMS should do its utmost to assure strong physician representation on BCBSM committees and task forces that support the Board of Directors.
- BCBSM requires the nominees must have some kind of BCBSM coverage, and as a health care provider participate with BCBSM.
Nomination Process for Consideration by the Board:
- A Selection Committee and Selection Committee Chair are appointed by the MSMS Board (see appointed positions below).
- The Selection Committee evaluates the candidates against the criteria. The Committee will document how the candidate meets or does not meet the criteria.
- The Selection Committee will provide the MSMS Board with a limited slate of “highly qualified” candidates. A minimum of two and a maximum of five.
- The Chair of the Selection Committee reviews the recommendations with the MSMS Board prior to the Board voting.
- The MSMS Board votes on a ballot with all of the 2-5 highly qualified candidates as options.
- Incumbents/reappointments will need to apply every three years. Incumbents will be asked to submit a written report that includes their attendance, appointments to Board positions, and a self-evaluation of their effectiveness.
In order to provide consistency for review, the Selection Committee is identified by Board position.
- Chair or Vice Chair of the MSMS Board – Mark C. Komorowski, MD
- Speaker or Vice Speaker of the House – Phillip G. Wise, MD
- Chair of the Health Care Delivery Committee - Bradley J. Uren, MD
- Chair of the Legislative Committee – Nita Kulkarni, MD
- Former MSMS Representative to the BCBSM Board – (this seat will remain empty for this nomination cycle)
- Chief Executive Officer – Julie L. Novak
If a member of the Selection Committee is a candidate, then he or she will be excused from Selection Committee. That position will remain unfilled.
Information for Submission:
Applicants should provide the following information in a letter to the Selection Committee.
- Name, address, phone, fax, e-mail, specialty, hospital affiliation.
- Please describe your practice pattern or professional setting.
- Please list other affiliations – hospital, medical, community, corporations, foundations, boards, committees.
- Please explain why you think you would be a good member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Board of Directors.
- Please describe any prior experience and expertise in interacting with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or dealing with payer issues.
- Incumbents – please include your attendance at Board and Committee meetings, appointments to Board positions, and a self-evaluation of your effectiveness.
- Additional Comments.