Licensees with Controlled Substance License and/or Drug Control License numbers that do not start with "5315" and "5307", respectively, will be issued new numbers from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) - Bureau of Professional Licensing. Affected licensees should have received an explanatory letter from LARA in January. If you would like to check your CSL and/or DCL license number, visit www.michigan.gov/bpl and select "Verify a License". Then search by licensee name.
LARA is transitioning to a new online licensing and regulatory database called the Michigan Professional Licensing User System (MiPLUS). In order to be compatible with the upgraded licensing platform, CSLs need to start with "5315" and DCLs with "5307". MiPLUS is expected to provide LARA staff and Michigan licensees with greater efficiencies including the following:
- Individuals can apply online, track the status of their application, renew their license, and receive electronic notifications.
- Licensees can modify their existing licensing information and upload documents.
- Licensees can self-report their convictions and disciplinary actions from other states.
- Individuals can verify the status of a licensed professional, file a complaint against a licensed professional, or report a change in staff privileges.
- Licensees can delegate another individual to pay fee or upload documents.
Nurses were the first to be phased in back in July 2017. Physicians and 10 other professionals will be part of Phase 2 which is scheduled to go live in early May. The date for Phase 3 is yet to be determined.
The issuance of new CSL and DCL numbers for the affected licensees does not require any change to the licensee's permanent professional license (MD or DO). However, any licensees who are not currently registered in the Michigan Automated Prescription System (MAPS) will have to contact the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) at www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov once they receive their new license number(s) from LARA. LARA is working with the DEA to provide them with the new license numbers for persons registered in MAPS.
Additional assistance can be obtained from LARA by emailing BPLhelp@Michigan.gov or calling 517-241-0199. You may also contact Stacey P. Hettiger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-336-5766 with questions.