At the Michigan State Medical Society's 2019 House of Delegates meeting, the House approved a bylaws change that revised the composition of the Board of Directors. With these changes, there will be up to six (6) Directors elected by the House of Delegates representing those constituencies that are deemed to be the most relevant to the current health care marketplace. The Designated Directors will be identified by the Nominating Committee of the House of Delegates with input from the Board of Directors and the House of Delegates.
Nominating Committee Responsibilities
Per the bylaws, the Nominating Committee’s responsibility is to:
- Carefully review the credentials of each potential candidate, seek out the most qualified candidates and, when possible, ensure that the candidates nominated reflect the diversity of MSMS’s membership.
- Provide the Speaker of the House of Delegates with at least one name for each Designated Director at least 30 days prior to the House of Delegate meeting.
Nominating Committee Member Criteria
The bylaws state the Nominating Committee shall consist of 10 members. The Committee will consist of the Society’s Immediate Past President, who is the chairperson, and one member from each Region. The Regional Nominating Committee member must be:
- Elected by the members holding membership in a county located in that Region;
- A delegate with a right to vote at the House of Delegates; and,
- Not be a member of the Board of Directors.
In addition to the above criteria, the MSMS Board of Directors are requesting that the initial Nominating Committee members be familiar with the recent remodeling work and/or MSMS governance.
Nominating Committee Time Commitment
A Nominating Committee member will be required to attend all meetings, which will take place as video conferencing and/or in-person. Each meeting will be no more than two hours long. It is believed that the Committee will need to meet at least three times.
Initial Scope of Work
Once the Nominating Committee has been elected, the Committee will be responsible for identifying physicians who meet the criteria and qualify for a specific category. The House of Delegates approved the following six (6) categories: Physician Organization Leader, Independent Small Practice Physician, Physician Leader from Health System, Physician Serving in Government/Public Health Role, Physician Serving as DIO/Representing GME Training, and At Large Physician.
MSMS is now accepting nominations for the MSMS Board of Directors Nominating Committee>>
Nominations have been extended; due by September 17, 2019.