When MSMS receives a complaint from a patient or physician who may have a grievance with a MSMS member, the MSMS Judicial Commission oversees county medical society peer review committees that handle cases occurring within their geographical jurisdiction. If we receive a complaint for a member who practices in a county without an active county medical society, the Judicial Commission would conduct the peer review process. The Judicial Commission is also responsible for hearing appeals from members whose membership has been revoked.
The Judicial Commission Nominating Committee is responsible for nominating physicians to the Judicial Commission. At the July board meeting, the MSMS Board of Directors appointed Amit Ghose, MD; Brian Stork, MD; John J. H. Schwarz, MD; Paul Bozyk, MD; P. Dileep Kumar, MD; Robert Blotter, MD; and T. Jann Caison-Sorrey, MD, as members of the Judicial Commission Nominating Committee (JCNC).
The Judicial Districts for the Judicial Commission have not been updated since the inception of the Judicial Commission; therefore, the counties in the Judicial Commission District differ from the current Districts. They are:
- District 1 – Wayne
- District 2 – Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair
- District 3 – Ingham, Livingston, Monroe, Shiawassee, Washtenaw
- District 4 – Bay, Iosco-Arenac, Genesee, Gratiot, Huron, Isabella-Clare, Lapeer, Midland, Saginaw, Sanilac, Tuscola
- District 5 – Allegan, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Eaton, Hillsdale, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lenawee, St. Joseph, Van Buren
- District 6 – Barry, Clinton, Ionia-Montcalm, Kent, Mason, Mecosta-Osceola-Lake, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Ottawa
- District 7 – Alpena-Alcona-Presque Isle, Chippewa-Mackinac, Delta, Dickinson-Iron, Gogebic, Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Benzie, Houghton-Baraga-Keweenaw, Luce, Manistee, Marquette-Alger-Menominee, North Central Counties (Crawford, Gladwin, Kalkaska, Montmorency, Otsego, Roscommon), Northern Michigan (Antrim, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Emmett), Ogemaw-Oscoda, Ontonagon, Schoolcraft, Wexford-Missaukee
Judicial Commission Candidates
The JCNC has nominated the following physicians to be members of the Judicial Commission:
MSMS is accepting additional nominations by petition signed by not less than 25 voting members in good standing in any Judicial District. The petition must be returned to Virginia Gibson no later than October 15, 2019.
If you have further questions, please contact Virginia Gibson.