Due to the consistent feedback heard from Michigan physicians and patients, the Michigan State Medical Society will host a Twitter chat regarding the new Opioid laws which went into effect earlier this year. Its primary goal is to raise awareness of the opioid epidemic, share existing resources, as well as to promote the DEA’s Prescription Drug Take Back Day on October 27, 2018.
The MSMS Twitter chat will take place on Wednesday, October 24 from Noon – 1 p.m. EST.
What is a Twitter chat?
A Twitter chat, sometimes known as a Twitter party or a tweet chat, happens when a group of people all tweet about the same topic using a specific tag (#) called a hashtag that allows the topic to be followed on Twitter. The chats are on a specific day, at a specific time.
In this case, the hashtag for our Twitter chat is #BeRxSafe. By including #BeRxSafe in your posts, you can ensure your messages will be part of the Twitter chat. In addition, anyone searching for #BeRxSafe and anyone who clicks on that hashtag from a post will be able to find and read the thread associated with the hashtag.
How to Participate
- You will need to have a Twitter account set up to participate.
- Join the chat by searching for the hashtag #BeRxSafe. Click on the hashtag to join to the conversation. You should see a few tweets using that hashtag.
- Now you can start tweeting your messages! Feel free to jump in as soon as you’re ready and share your message with the hashtag #BeRxSafe included. Let everyone know you’ve joined the chat and that you’re ready to participate.
- Ex: Hello everyone! I’m here and ready to talk about opioid health. #BeRxSafe
Tips, Tricks and Important Information
- Please use #BeRxSafe in all of your Tweets to be included in the Twitter chat that day.
- If you ask a question or respond to someone in the chat, use the hashtag #BeRxSafe so everyone can be in on the conversation.
- Share tweets from the conversation with your network by re-tweeting or by commenting on posts in the chat.
- Please don’t use the hashtag unless it’s on topic! We don’t want off-topic conversation to be part of the archive of the chat.
- Please do use other relevant hashtags in your posts, including:
- #BeRxSafe, #MSMSHealthChat, #Michigan, #OpioidCrisis, #TakeBackDay
You might want to let people know you’ll be participating in the Twitter chat in advance. This is a nice way to let your network know you may be a bit noisy during the chat time.
- Michigan State Medical Society, @MichStateMedSoc
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan - @BCBSM
- Michigan Health and Hospital Association - @MiHospitalAssoc
- Michigan OPEN - @UM_IHPI
- Michigan Osteopathic Association - @MichiganDOs
- AARP - @AARPMichigan
- American Cancer Society of Michigan - @ACSCANMichigan
- American Society of Addiction Medicine - @ASAMOrg
- Central Michigan University College of Medicine, Health, The Herbert H. & Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions - @CMU_Medicine, @CMU_Health, and @CMUCHP
- Henry Ford Health System - @HenryFordNews
- Kalamazoo Academy of Medicine - @KAMJackson
- Michigan Academy of Family Physicians - @MIFamilyDocs
- Michigan Association of Health Plans - @MIHealthPlans
- Michigan Association of Treatment Court Professionals - @MATCP02
- Michigan College of Emergency Physicians - @MCEP_News
- Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners - @MichiganNPs
- Michigan Dental Association - @MIDentalAssoc
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - @MichiganDEQ
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services - @MichiganHHS
- Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs - @MichiganLARA
- Michigan Pharmacy Association - @MIPharmacists
- Michigan Primary Care Association - @MichPCA
- Michigan Society of Addiction Medicine - @MI_ASAM
- Michigan State Police - @MichStatePolice, @MSPMetroDet, @MSPBayRegion, @MSPNorthernMI, @MichEMHS
- Michigan State University - @MSUCONAdvisors, @MSU_Osteopathic, @MSUMDAdmissions, @MSUMD
- Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine - @OUWB
- University of Michigan - @UM_IHPI
- Washtenaw County Medical Society - @WashtenawCMS
- Wayne State University - @WayneMedicine
- Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine - @WMUMedicine