The Michigan State Loan Repayment Program (MSLRP) assists employers in the recruitment and retention of medical, dental, and mental health primary care providers who continue to demonstrate their commitment to building long-term primary care practices in underserved communities designated as Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). MSLRP will assist those selected by providing up to $200,000 in tax-free funds to repay their educational debt over a period of up to eight years. Participants compete for consecutive two-year MSLRP agreements requiring them to remain employed for a minimum of 40 hours per week for no less than 45 weeks per year at eligible nonprofit practice sites providing primary healthcare services to ambulatory populations. Providers must remain with the employers who sponsor them during their two-year agreements, and employers must continue to employ the providers they sponsor during their two-year service obligations.
The MSLRP application process is very competitive. Providers and employers serious about successfully competing for a loan repayment agreement will need to carefully read the attached MSLRP Application Period Update, the entire MSLRP website at http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-71551_2945_40012---,00.html, as it is updated for the current application period, including the Participant Information and Requirements sections, as well as the instructions on all required application forms.
Please see the attached MSLRP Program Opportunity Update for more information on the following:
- 2019 Application Period: February 4 through February 8, 2019 Postmarks Only
- HPSA-Find Documentation Required for Practice Sites
- Top Priority Applicants for 2019 Application Period
- Inpatient Pediatric Psychiatrists
- Genesee County Applicants
- Northern Obstetric Service Providers
- Important Reminders:
- Non-priority Practice Sites with HPSA Scores of 8 or More Treated as Priority
- Updated MSLRP Review Process
- Workdays Away Form Must be Submitted with Final Work Verification Form
- Participants Must Complete Service Obligations with Original Employers
- Employers Must Employ Participants Throughout Service Obligations
If, after reading the MSLRP Update, website, and application forms you have questions about the program, please contact Ken Miller at (517) 241-9946 or Millerk3@michigan.gov.