Did you know that along with the 150 hours of continuing education credits (CME) required to renew, physicians must also have a minimum of 1 hour of continuing education in the area of medical ethics and 3 hours of pain and symptom management?
Separate from continuing education requirements, physicians must also complete a one-time human trafficking requirement. For physicians whose license expires January 31, 2019, this must be completed by January 31, 2022.
Every three years, all Michigan physicians must renew their license and certify compliance with state continuing medical education laws. Every year approximately one-third of Michigan’s physicians are required to renew. The Licensure and CME calendar year runs February 1 to January 31. Each physician is required to complete 150 credits of CME in which a minimum of 75 hours of the required 150 must be earned in Category 1 activities, and the 5 required credits in medical ethics (1), pain management (3) and human trafficking (1).
Physicians who have not met the 150 requirement are strongly urged to not renew until all credits have been achieved. Doing so is a violation of the Michigan Public Health Code and is subject to license sanctions. Physicians can take advantage of the 60-day grace period to complete the missing credits. Online renewal must be completed within the 60-day grace period, along with the $20 late fee payment in addition to the renewal fee. Physicians whose licenses have been expired for more than 60 days must apply for relicensure.
New Categories of Continuing Medical Education
The Board of Medicine has updated the previous six Categories of Credit into two categories. As before, each medical doctor is required to complete 150 hours of continuing medical education approved by the Board of Medicine, which a minimum of 75 hours of the required 150 must be earned in Category 1 activities, and 5 in the before mentioned areas of medical ethics (1), pain management(3) and human trafficking (1). The following is a breakdown of the two Categories for licensure:
- Activities with accredited sponsorship - Maximum 150 hours
- Passing specialty board certification or recertification - Maximum 50 hours
- Successfully completing MOC that does not meet requirements of (A) or (B) above. - Maximum 30 hours
- Participation in a board approved training program - Maximum 150 hours
- Clinical instructor for medical students engaged in postgraduate training program - Maximum 48 hours
- Initial presentation of scientific exhibit, poster or paper - Maximum 24 hours
- Publication of scientific article in a peer-reviewed journal - Maximum 24 hours
- Initial publication of a chapter or portion of a chapter in a professional health care textbook or peer-review textbook - Maximum 24 hours
- Participation in any of the following as it relates to the practice of medicine: - Maximum 18 hours
- Peer review Committee dealing with quality of patient care
- A Committee dealing with utilization review
- A health care organization committee dealing with patient care issues
- A national or state committee, board, council or association
- Until December 6, 2019, attendance at an activity that was approved by the Board of Medicine prior to December 6, 2016 - Maximum 36 hours
- Independently reading a peer-reviewed journal prior to December 6, 2016, that doesn't satisfy the requirements of Category 1, subdivision (A) - Maximum 18 hours
- Prior to December 6, 2016, completing a multi-media self-assessment program that doesn't satisfy the requirements of Category 1, subdivision (A) - Maximum 18 hours
For more information on CME requirements for relicensure, please visit: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/LARA_Medicine_CE_Brochure_5-11_376428_7.pdf
To look up your license renewal date, please visit: https://w2.lara.state.mi.us/VAL/License/Search
To renew your license, please visit: https://mylicense.mdch.state.mi.us/MyLicenseEnterpriseRen/Login.aspx
If you are audited and need clarification of the requirements, please contact MSMS or an experienced health care attorney, prior to communicating with LARA or the Board of Medicine.
For questions or more information, contact Brenda Marenich at email@example.com or via phone at 517-336-7580.