All advertising is subject to acceptance by the MSMS Committee on Publications, and the Publisher.
No cancellations accepted after the first of the month preceding the issue date, and none will be considered executed unless acknowledged in writing by a representative of the Michigan State Medical Society. If contract is cancelled or not fulfilled, short rating will apply.
First time advertisers are required to send payment with materials. Failure to pay on time will result in loss of applicable discounts. All others: payment due net 30 days from invoice date. Payment delinquency beyond 60 days will forfeit agency and frequency discounts.
Recognized advertising agencies who represent advertisers and provide camera-ready art, negatives, electronic files, etc., and billing services eligible for 15% discount. No agency commission allowed 60 days after invoice date. 1 1/2% per month carrying charge will be added after 60 days and each 30 days thereafter.
Advertising is rotated and interspersed throughout, except paid positions. Courtesy is paid to special requests whenever possible.
Printing: Sheet fed offset
Trim Size: 8 1/8 " x 10 3/4 "
Binding: Saddle wire
Col. Width: 2 col. - 3 1 3 1/4 " 3 col. - 2 1 2 1/8 "
MECHANICAL AD REQUIREMENTS
Black & White Negatives: Right reading, emulsion side down, 133 line screen preferred. Color Negatives: Right reading, emulsion side down, 150 line screen, color proofs required. Ad Prep Service: Your ad can be prepared for publication by Michigan Medicine. The charge will be assessed on the first insertion of the ad.
DIGITAL AD REQUIREMENTS
Ads submitted in digital format must meet the Michigan Medicine production guidelines (see page 4 of rate card).
ELECTRONIC AD SUBMISSION GUIDE
Even though we can accept electronically submitted ads in many formats, we are unable to support each and every format that exists in the computer industry. When electronically submitting your ads to us, please send them using the following formats.
You can send us your ad as an e-mail attachment or you can send it to us on the following:
*If not using recent software version, contact us to ensure compatibility.
Document Elements To Supply: All fonts used in layout documents and linked graphics must be supplied. Do not use any graphics in the Macintosh PICT format. Use TIFF or EPS formats.
Dimensions: All ads must be configured to fit the paper size as indicated in "Mechanical Requirements." Be sure to create documents in the proper trim size, not bleed size, of your ad. However, be certain to include bleed imagery. There is no need to add registration marks manually; we prefer to use the automatic crop mark feature of the page layout software.
Black-and-White Ads: All black-and-white ads must be set up to output as one-color art. No color specifications should be applied to any type or art elements of a black-and-white ad. This will prevent any unanticipated screen tints from appearing in final film.
Color Ads: Laser proof or higher quality separation proofs must accompany digital ads with two colors or more. Colorized elements of digital ads using two or more colors must use the process color system and use QuarkXpress or Pagemaker for final compositing and film separation.
- 3.5" inch 1.44MB floppy disk
- 3.5" inch & 5.25" inch optical disk
- 100MB Zip Disk (up to 1.2GB)
- 1GB Iomega Jaz Disk
- SyQuest 5.25" disk
- CD (44MB, 88MBor 200MB only)
We accept all versions of the following program file formats:
- Macromedia Freehand
- Adobe PageMaker
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Microsoft Word
If you are going to send us scanned images, they must be scanned in 300 dpi (dots per inch) or higher for color and grayscale and 800 dpi or higher for line art. The scanned images must be in CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) and not RGB (red, green, blue). We can accept the following file formats (include fonts when saving):
Include both Screen and Printer fonts with your electronic submission. If you are unable to include them then we will not be able to use the file. We cannot accept TrueType fonts. In order to accept and process your ad, the fonts must be Postscript or Type 1.
If submitting files to us that are compressed, please send us a single archive file using the following:
We are unable to accept COREL files or Microsoft Works files. When creating lines in your images, do not use the line thickness (weight) called "hairline". This thickness does not have an industry standard measurement and is interpreted differently by different programs. If you send your copy on disk, include a hard copy. If you submit your file via e-mail, please send a hard (paper) copy as well. We want to ensure that our copy looks like your copy!
Advertising design, preparation, and production services are available. Advertising and article reprint services are available. Please call your Michigan Medicine Advertising Representative for an estimate. MSMS Foundation and Event Sponsorships are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- "Publisher" in this rate card means, Michigan Medicine/Michigan State Medical Society.
- Every advertisement is accepted and published on the representation of the agency and advertiser that they are authorized to publish the entire content and subject matter of the advertisement; that the advertisement does not violate or infringe any personal or property rights of others, whether common law or statutory; that the advertisement contains nothing libelous or contrary to law; and that they are authorized to make these representations. In consideration of publication of the advertisement, the agency and advertiser will indemnify, defend, and save the Publisher harmless from and against any loss or expense (including attorney's fees) arising out of that publication, including without limitation any loss or expense resulting from a claim or suit for libel, invasion of privacy or copyright infringement, or any other claim based on the content or subject matter of the advertisement.
- All orders are accepted subject to Publisher's approval. The Publisher will not be bound by any condition on a contract, order or copy instructions (whether printed or not) other than those set forth in this rate card unless specifically agreed upon in writing by the Publisher.
- All contents of advertisements are subject to Publisher's approval. The Publisher reserves the right to reject or cancel any advertisement, insertion order, space reservation, or position commitment at any time without cause.
- Any advertising simulating Michigan Medicine editorial matter in appearance or style that is not immediately identifiable as advertising is not acceptable. the Publisher reserves the right to insert the word "Advertisement,Ó or any other term or phrase stating that acceptance of the advertisement does not constitute endorsement or approval by the Publisher of the products or services advertised above or below any copy.
- Positioning of advertisements is at sole discretion of the Publisher except if a request for a specific position is acknowledged in writing by the Publisher.
- Publisher shall not be subject to any liability whatsoever for any failure to publish or circulate all or any copies of any issue of Michigan Medicine because of strike, work stoppage, accident, fire, act of God, or any other circumstance not within the Publisher's control.
- Unintentional or inadvertent failure by the Publisher to publish advertising matter invalidates the insertion order for such matter but does not constitute a breach of contract or otherwise subject the Publisher to any liability whatsoever.
- The Publisher's liability for any other error will not exceed the cost of the space occupied by the error.
- Advertisers may not change or cancel any order for an advertisement after the closing date for the issue in which the advertisement is to be published. There shall be no privilege of approval or revision of advertising copy received by the applicable deadline.
- Publisher shall have the right to hold the advertiser and its agency jointly and severally liable for such monies that are due and payable to the Publisher for advertising ordered by either the advertiser or its agency and published.
- Rates published in this rate card are effective with the Jan./Feb. 2001 issue of Michigan Medicine. Any change in these rates will be announced at least 30 days before the issue date to which it applies. Conditions other than rated are subject to change by the Publisher without notice.