When MSMS receives a complaint from a patient or physician who may have a grievance with a MSMS member, the MSMS Judicial Commission oversees county medical society peer review committees that handle cases occurring within their geographical jurisdiction. If we receive a complaint for a member who practices in a county without an active county medical society, the Judicial Commission would conduct the peer review process. The Judicial Commission is also responsible for hearing appeals from members whose membership has been revoked.
The Judicial Commission Nominating Committee is responsible for nominating physicians to the Judicial Commission. At the July board meeting, the MSMS Board of Directors appointed Jayne Courts, MD; Nita Kulkarni, MD; P. Dileep Kumar, MD; Mark E. Meyer, MD; and Brian Stork, MD as members of the Judicial Commission Nominating Committee (JCNC).
Judicial Districts and Term Expirations
The Judicial Districts for the Judicial Commission are as follows:
- District 1 – Wayne
- District 2 – Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair
- District 3 – Ingham, Livingston, Monroe, Shiawassee, Washtenaw
- District 4 – Bay, Iosco-Arenac, Genesee, Gratiot, Huron, Isabella-Clare, Lapeer, Midland, Saginaw, Sanilac, Tuscola
- District 5 – Allegan, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Eaton, Hillsdale, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lenawee, St. Joseph, Van Buren
- District 6 – Barry, Clinton, Ionia-Montcalm, Kent, Mason, Mecosta-Osceola-Lake, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Ottawa
- District 7 – Alpena-Alcona-Presque Isle, Chippewa-Mackinac, Delta, Dickinson-Iron, Gogebic, Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Benzie, Houghton-Baraga-Keweenaw, Luce, Manistee, Marquette-Alger-Menominee, North Central Counties (Crawford, Gladwin, Kalkaska, Montmorency, Otsego, Roscommon), Northern Michigan (Antrim, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Emmett), Ogemaw-Oscoda, Ontonagon, Schoolcraft, Wexford-Missaukee
The following individuals’ terms expires on December 31, 2021:
- Federico Mariona, MD District 1 – Wayne County
- Caroline Scott, MD District 4 – Saginaw County
- J. Bryan Dixon, MD District 7 – Marquette-Alger County
Additionally, the Judicial Commission has another opening in District 1 due to the fact Raj Modak, MD moved out of state.
Judicial Commission Candidates
The JCNC has nominated the following physicians as candidates for the Judicial Commission:
- District 1: E. Chris Bush, MD (Wayne County)
Federico Mariona, MD (Wayne County)
Salem Siddiqui, MD (Wayne County)
- District 4: Caroline Scott, Md (Saginaw County)
- District 7: J. Bryan Dixon, MD (Marquette-Alger County)
MSMS is accepting additional nominations by petition signed by not less than 25 voting members in good standing in any Judicial District. The petition must be returned to Virginia Gibson no later than October 15, 2021. We will only accept nominations for physicians in District 1, District 4 and District 7.
If you have further questions, please contact Virginia Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org.