Thank you to the 2019 Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS) Delegates and Alternate Delegates for volunteering for the 154th annual MSMS House of Delegates meeting to be held on Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5 at the Radisson Hotel and Suites in Kalamazoo.
Here are several
highlights of this year's House of Delegates meeting:
- Handbook Material: The 2019 House of Delegates handbook can be found at www.msms.org/HOD; or click on 2019 HOD Handbook.
- The MSMS House of Delegates app is also currently available for free at the App store for both Apple and Android devices (search under “MSMS”).
- Resolution Submission Process: Resolutions were due on March 1, 2019, to be included in the House of Delegates handbook. Resolutions received after March 1 will be considered late resolutions and will be referred to Committee C- Internal Affairs and Bylaws. Reference Committee C will meet on late resolutions prior to the House of Delegates meeting. Please contact Rebecca Blake at email@example.com [ mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org ] , or 517-336-5729, for more information.
- Voting: The election of the President-elect, Speaker, Vice Speaker, AMA Delegates, and AMA Alternate Delegates will be held by ballot on Saturday. Candidates running for a contested seat will be allowed two minutes to introduce themselves during the Candidate Forum at 12:30 pm. Voting will take place from 1:00 – 4:00 pm on Saturday.
- For more information on the elections, and open seats, please see the “Candidates for Office” tab in the handbook.
- Reference Committees: Reference Committees A, B, D, and E will take testimony on Saturday from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm. The Reference Committee on Ways and Means and Reference Committee C- Internal Affairs and Bylaws will begin at 9:00 am.
- Governance Remodeling: MSMS will review proposed bylaws changes regarding Board allocation from 2:00 – 4:00 pm. Information can be found under the Governance Remodeling tab in the handbook.
- President Functions: A reception and dinner honoring Mohammed A. Arsiwala, MD, will begin at 6:30 pm on Saturday. Spouses and guests are welcome to attend. Dress for the banquet is black tie optional. If you would like to purchase tickets for this event, please do so when you complete your registration at www.msms.org/hod [ http://www.msms.org/hod ] . Dinner will feature food from around the world. Guests will mingle throughout the dinner hour and self-serve from international food stations.
- Reports of the Reference Committees: Final action on all resolutions will be taken by the delegates on Sunday morning from 8:00 am until approximately 11:00 am. A continental breakfast will be available for delegates starting at 7:00 am.
Hopefully this has given you a feel for the kind of activities you can expect during the 2019 MSMS House of Delegates meeting. Please watch your email for additional updates. If you have any questions or comments, please contact Carrie Wheeler at 517-336-5723. Thank you for taking a leadership role in organized medicine. We look forward to seeing you in May.