When recruiting your next medical, dental, or mental health care provider, ask if they’d prefer to receive just your taxable sign on bonus, or receive double that amount (up to $50,000) in tax-free educational loan repayment.
How can you offer this opportunity to your new recruits? You can offer this choice through the Michigan State Loan Repayment Program (MSLRP). During the current application period, you and your provider can apply for a Sign-On Bonus Loan Repayment Contract. Federal Funds are still available to match your sign-on bonus dollar for dollar.
How do you get started? First, read the information below and then call Ken Miller, MSLRP Analyst, at 517-241-9946 for assistance in applying for a Sign-On Bonus Loan Repayment Contract.
What are the benefits of recruiting with Sign-On Bonus Loan Repayment Contracts?
- Helps you recruit high-demand providers, while you save on recruitment fees
- Doubles the amount of your sign-on bonus
- Turns double your sign-on bonus into tax-free loan repayment for your recruits
- Contracts are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, until all funds are committed
- You receive expedited application review, eligibility determination and contract execution
- The MSLRP Analyst works along with you and your provider during the application process
- The MSLRP Analyst works with you to customize contract terms designed to meet your organization’s recruitment needs
- Contracts may start as soon as the first of the month following eligibility determination and employment
- Flexible loan repayment amounts up to $50,000 for the first 2 years
- Flexible contract lengths, with re-contracting options up to 3 or 4 years
- Flexible provider payment schedules allowing providers to receive:
- The full contract amount up front, to help you compete for recruits in competitive situations, or
- Six-month installments, to help conserve cash flow.
Provider Eligibility Requirements:
- Eligible providers include: Dentists, Primary Care Physicians - Family Practice, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics - CNMs, NPs, PAs, Psychiatrists, MSWs and other masters-level mental health care providers
- Must provide direct primary care on a full-time basis
- Initial contracts must be for a minimum of 2-years, with a corresponding service obligation
Practice Site Eligibility Requirements:
For more information, call Ken Miller at the MDCH State Loan Repayment Program at 517-241-9946 or visit www.michigan.gov/mislrp
- Must be part of a public or private not-for-profit organization
- Must be located in a Health Professional Shortage Area
- Must serve an ambulatory primary care patient population
- Must accept Medicare, Medicaid and have a sliding-fee scale
*Please Note: Federal requirements do not allow MSLRP contracts to be used as a salary offset. Salaries for health professionals participating in the MSLRP must be based on prevailing rates in your area.