Online Advertising Policy, Principles and Acceptance
The Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS) website may contain advertisements for third parties. MSMS does not explicitly or implicitly endorse third parties in exchange for advertising, and advertising does not influence editorial content (unless explicitly stated), products, or services. Members and patients count on the MSMS to be an authoritative, independent voice in the world of science and medicine. Public confidence in our objectivity is critical to carrying out our mission.
Advertising revenue is used to support the activities of MSMS.
MSMS does not make any representation as to the accuracy or suitability of any of the information contained in those advertisements or sites and does not accept any responsibility or liability for the conduct or content of those advertisements and sites and the offerings made by the third parties.
MSMS takes no responsibility for the content of the ads, promises made, or the quality/reliability of the products or services offered in all advertisements. You shall be solely responsible for any correspondence or transactions you have with third party advertisers.
- MSMS has the right to refuse any advertisement that, in its sole discretion, is incompatible with its mission or inconsistent with the values of members, the publication/web site or the organization as a whole, and to stop accepting any advertisement previously accepted. Ads are subject to review by the editor and others at MSMS. In no case shall separate agreements with MSMS or its subsidiaries supersede this policy.
- Advertising for the following categories is prohibited:
- Weapons, firearms, ammunition
- Gambling and lottery
- Pornography or related themes
- Political and religious advertisements
- Advertisements that claim to have a "miracle" cure or method
- Advertisements that make unsubstantiated health claims for the products advertised
- Advertisements directed at children
- Pharmaceutical advertisements directed to patients
- Advertisements new to MSMS may require pre-approval before they can appear.
- Advertisers may be required to submit supporting documentation to substantiate claims. For products not regulated by the FDA or other government agency, technical and/or scientific documentation may be required.
- Ads for products not approved by the FDA that make any kind of health claims must carry the following disclaimer: "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."
- While MSMS welcomes and encourages information-rich advertising, advertisements, advertising icons and advertiser logos must be clearly distinguishable from editorial content and may require special labeling to distinguish them as such.
- In MSMS professional (physician-directed) publications and web sites, the intentional placement of advertising adjacent to articles discussing the company or product that is the subject of the ad is prohibited.
- Advertisements may not imply endorsement by MSMS or its publications/web sites except as may be provided for under a separate agreement -- in which case advertising must be pre-approved to ensure adherence to the letter and spirit of that separate agreement.
- The full rules for any market research or promotion associated with an advertisement must be displayed in the ad or available via a prominent link.
- The following online advertising formats are prohibited:
- Pop-ups and floating ads.
- Advertisements that collect personally identifiable information from visitors without their knowledge or permission.
- Ads that extend across or down the page without the visitor having clicked or rolled-over the ad.
- Ads that send visitors to another site without the visitor having clicked the ad.
MSMS's published advertising policies are not exhaustive and are subject to change at any time without notice.
Additional policies specific to individual MSMS publications and web sites may also apply; please additionally refer to those advertising policies for more details.
Advertising revenue is used to support the Michigan State Medical Society. For questions about online advertising on the MSMS website, contact Jessy Sielski at 517-336-5732 or firstname.lastname@example.org.